Change language
Remove from selection
Add to selection
  • Title
    Miscellaneous drawings for St Paul’s, c.1688–1752
  • Reference
  • Exent
    4 drawings
  • Description
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang2057{\fonttbl{\f0\fswiss\fprq2\fcharset0 Microsoft Sans Serif;}{\f1\fswiss\fprq2\fcharset0 System;}} {\colortbl ;\red0\green0\blue128;} \viewkind4\uc1\pard\cf1\f0\fs20 This small group includes two record drawings for illustrative purposes. WRE/7/3/2 is a sheet of plans of the dome and western towers in c.1704-10, probably for engraving. WRE/7/3/4 is from the office of Henry Flitcroft (Surveyor, 1746-56). It is a grey-wash plan of the south-east quarter of the crossing in 1752, on which a crossing pier has been marked as repaired. Flitcroft copied his drawing from a plan of the south-east quarter of the cathedral, datable 1675; see WRE/2/2/9. Both drawings belong with nearly 190 that were discovered in two bound volumes in the cathedral Library in about 1900. They indicate that much of this large group - the bulk of the St Paul\rquote s Collection of Wren-office drawings - remained at the cathedral after its completion and passed through the hands of successive surveyors (see History of the Collection and Concordance). \par \par An internal elevation of the north side of the nave and crossing pier, WRE/7/3/1, is attributable to Simon Gribelin and records the design around the time construction moved above the internal attic to the main arches of the crossing and nave. \par \par WRE/7/3/3 is an unfinished perspective study of the cathedral from the south-west, probably in Hawksmoor\rquote s hand, and preparatory for Trevitt\rquote s engraved prospect from the north-west of c.1710.\cf0\b\f1\par }
  • Conditions governing access
    Access to the Wren office drawings held at London Metropolitan Archives is available only with advance notice and at the discretion of the Heritage Services Director, London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, London, EC1R 0HB.
  • Level of description