Skift sprog
Handlinger
Remove from selection
Add to selection
  • Titel
    Study-plan of the east bay of the choir enclosure on the south side
  • Reference
    WRE/4/1/6
  • Dato
    c.1693
  • Ophav
  • Fysisk beskrivelse
    Pen and brown ink over pencil under-drawing, with additions in pencil. Thick smooth laid paper. 36.7 x 51.4 cm. Countermark: DS
  • Beskrivelse
    A plan, replicated in WRE/4/1/7, of one bay of the choir stalls and choir gallery in the easternmost full bay on the south side; it was developed from the half-plan, WRE/4/1/5 (likewise orientated by its scale with east on the left). Drawn by Hawksmoor; some pencil sketching probably by Wren. Datable c.1693. Drawn scale, just under 2 ft to 1 inch. The plan is probably an initial study for the wooden model of a bay of the choir enclosure built by Charles Hopson, probably in mid-1693, and now displayed in the cathedral’s Trophy Room. It refines the layout of the stalls, staircases and rear screen wall shown on WRE/4/1/5, and adds in dotted outlines the gallery seats, in three rows, nearly as built (see Newman 2004, fig.150). The rear staircases are in two flights of 9 and 10 steps, as built, the longer flight being the one that rises from the central door at church-floor level to the enclosed gallery of ‘middle’ stall seats at mezzanine level. Above this flight in the fabric is an upper one which starts at half-landing above the central door and turns at the top to reach the galleries; see the plan of the choir enclosure in the complete floor plan of c.1709-10, WRE/7/2/7. The two front rows of stalls have not yet been finalised. The steps up to the central stall on the south side are shown wider than built; they were narrowed in a pencilled alteration to the related part-elevation, WRE/4/1/13. The vertical line at the left side at the centre of the eastern pier marks the end of the choir enclosure. The stalls are shown terminating on the west side of the pilaster, with two sets of three steps going up to them. Sketched lightly in pencil over the pair of upper stalls adjoining the eastern pier is an initial idea for a Bishop’s Throne enclosed by four columns. It was moved in front of the pier in the earliest detailed study for this feature on WRE/4/1/5. Sketched untidily in pencil above the two stalls adjoining the central one is the soffit of a gallery front projecting about 1 ft in front of the stalls. This gallery was extended by another foot in the final scheme; see WRE/4/2/5 and 6. Written in pencil in reverse at the top of the sheet is a note in an untidy hand, ‘Choire Plan of one Bay’. There is a similar pencilled title on WRE/4/1/16.
  • Betingelser for adgang
    Access to the Wren office drawings held at London Metropolitan Archives is available only with advance notice and at the discretion of the Heritage Services Director, London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, London, EC1R 0HB.
  • Beskrivelsesniveau
  •